Saturday, April 2, 2011

Pavement Holds No Image

White Hair.

I remember white hair:
sublime
mixed with blonde
A strand
or two of black
but mostly white.

Legs.

I remember no legs:
a form
lithe & lilting
a quiver
singing without speaking.
His lips never moved.

Rocks are not always
what they seem.
They grow with the years.

I remember that man.
How he sat in that chair
torn blanket 'round a form
Hair spiky and short.

I remember a dog
pulling that chair
Laughter, disturbing
    or
Laying by his side.

"They'll take that dog from him,"
her words rang
"He has to fit in
or become a fool
in a wheelchair."

"Old age in a god
    is tough and greene."
I am no god,
The stone said
though once Phoebus seemed
to shine through me.

Eyes to the ground
eyes of a stone
pavement holds no image
only the rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment